Everyone loves pancakes. This is a great grain-free, nut-free and low-sugar recipe! I decided to make up my own recipe after being disappointed with some other grain-free options. After experimenting, I decided that is my recipe of choice. It creates light and thin pancakes that cook quickly and taste fantastic. My 2-year-old niece gobbles these up, eating them for breakfast, or even dips them in the variety of bone-broth soups I prepare for her.
Plantain Pancakes Recipe
- 2 ripe plantains (yellow with spots)
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Spices of choice: I like 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of ginger, and a pinch of cloves
- Butter, ghee or coconut oil for the frying pan
- Mix all ingredients together until combined. It should be the texture of a thick soup.
- Heat skillet over medium-low heat, adding your oil.
- Once oil is heated up, use a ladle to slowly drop small amounts of mixture onto skillet. I like to make 2-3 large pancakes at a time, but you can make them any size you want.
- When bubbles begin to appear and pancake appears solid enough to flip (this time will vary depending on how hot your stove it), flip your pancakes. The second side will only need about a minute!
- Enjoy- try not to eat them all at once. Sometimes I serve these with eggs, bacon and some roasted veggies to make a delicious breakfast. You can make them as a dessert and serve them with coconut cream, or dip them into some bone-broth soup!